Sunday, June 30, 2013

Shocking: I'm a Liberal.

If we are friends in real life, you may or may not know this about me. If we are friends on Facebook, the fact that I am a Liberal is IN YOUR FACE.

I am constantly posting articles, pictures, and opinions about same sex marriage (pro), the right to choose to have an abortion (pro), the death penalty (anti), slut-shaming (anti), racism (anti), and many other hippie, bleeding heart ideals.

I am aware that as a white, heterosexual female who has been lucky enough to have never had an unwanted pregnancy (or one that threatens my life), the above does not affect me much. So why am I so passionate about my beliefs?

Because they happen to people every day. Sometimes to people I know. And I have something called empathy.

Who am I to say that because I happen to be attracted to males, I can get married, but my best friend can't? Or because my pregnancies were wanted and uneventful, I should be able to make the choice for someone else?

I can't.

No one else can.

I can understand when people oppose my beliefs. That's your opinion. I don't like it, I won't debate it (because frankly, I don't have the time), but you can believe it if you want to.

But.

This is what I believe.

If you don't like it, don't look at it.

Huh, in fact, it's similar to something I've seen before.



No comments:

Post a Comment