Monday, June 18, 2012

How rude!

I believe in the goodness of people.

A Saturday trip to Whole Foods changed all that.

First of all, the aisles are small. There is hardly enough room for one cart, let alone two trying to pass one another. Add three wrestling, joking, trash talking stockboys kicking boxes around and laughing, and it was a disaster. And I ran into them in at least three different aisles.

Then there are the sullen ones. You know who I mean. They walk around with pinched faces, avoiding eye contact. When I don't move my cart fast enough and apologize with a smile, they just stare at me and keep going. No acknowledgement, not even a dirty look.

There are the giggling teenagers, meandering slowly along without a care in the world.

And then there are the old ladies.

I promise I am not generalizing here. I am talking about two specific older ladies, perhaps in their 60s or 70s, who parked in the aisle of the natural soap section and talked while everyone gingerly pushed their carts around them. I had to bend down for some soap on the bottom shelf and almost got a cart in the eye. Twice. The woman saw me, ignored me, and kept talking.

Am I expecting too much? Am I too entrenched in my belief in southern hospitality that I am so easily shocked by rudeness?

Or is this article true? There was a recent study that found that many people who buy organic foods tend to be judgmental and rude. I know for a fact that this is not true for all people. But it was at Whole Foods this weekend.

At least one good thing came from my trip.



1 comment: