Saturday, August 20, 2011

Passions

Does anyone remember the soap opera "Passions"?  I don't remember too much about it, but there was a witch with a talking "doll" named Timmy.  And lots of horrendous acting. 


My best friend Val and I used to watch it during the summer of 2000, then call each other and talk about it.  What a great way to spend the summer between high school and college, the summer before we became, for all intents and purposes, "adults."

But as awesomely bad as that show was, it's not what this post is really about.

I think I've found my passion. 

When I graduated from college back in 2004, I thought I would take a year or two off to work, then go back to grad school.  Instead, I took seven.  I waited tables, worked with medically fragile/abused children, moved to a different state, taught teen moms life and parenting skills, got married and had a couple of kids of my own.  I knew I wanted to go back eventually, but I didn't know for what.  Nursing?  Teaching?  Social work? 

I started grad school this past week, for my master's in counseling.  And I LOVE it.  The classes are 6-10 pm, two nights a week.  And while I wondered if I could stay up past my usual bedtime of 10:00, I've found that it's really not a problem.  I'm so interested in the material that I'm wide awake.  I love the reading (well, some of it is a little dry-- I'm just not a theories girl!), and I love the material.  I'm reminded of the history and anthropology/sociology classes from back in undergrad.  I was fascinated by what I was learning, and had a great time with it.  That was my passion at the time, though I had no idea what to do with it. 

And now I've found it.  And I'm so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment