Wednesday, August 3, 2011

An interesting encounter in the produce section

The kids and I ran to Sprouts (formerly Sun Harvest, a small local grocery chain) for some odds and ends. 

Note to self: NEVER go on double-ad Wednesday.  It is packed.  And it's a tiny store.

Ty was dancing along to the music, and caught the eye of an elderly lady.  She came over to clap for him, and remarked on how beautiful the kids were.  I thanked her profusely.  She said I must have married someone very good-looking to have produced such beautiful children.  Then she asked if I was an actress or a model.

You, lady, are now my favorite person ever.

I have never been mistaken for any sort of actress, though people used to tell me that I looked like Kelly Clarkson back in the day (I never saw it).  I did, however, resemble one spunky character as a child.



That would be Ms. Punky Brewster.  Seriously, give her blue eyes and that was me as a kid.  Of course, she and I no longer look alike.

Yeah, not me.
Needless to say, I was extremely flattered, and told her as much.  It's always nice to hear that you look good when you're shopping with two kids and wearing cutoffs, flip flops and a t-shirt, and you need a haircut.

The lady again complimented Lily, and remarked to me that we should keep an eye on her when she gets older, because, and I quote, "Black men love pretty girls."

I swear I'm not making this up. 

From compliment to racism in 5 seconds.  Ahhh, Texas.

1 comment:

  1. So do only black men like pretty girls? Are girls who are with any one other than black men not pretty. That was the strangest racist thing I've ever heard. At least she was right about the kids being so cute.

    ReplyDelete