Monday, September 5, 2011

Daily Challenge

I'm stressed about the first test I took for grad school.  It was last Tuesday.  I studied hard all weekend, during the week, and right before it.  I reviewed, took notes, re-read the chapters.  I took the multiple choice test, and felt confident.  I even answered the optional bonus questions.

I'm fairly certain that I failed.

After turning in our tests, the professor went over the answers with us.  Imagine my surprise when I found out that many of the questions I felt so confidently about were trick questions.  Imagine the class outrage when we all discovered that because of these trick questions, the majority of us failed.  We bitched about it during the dinner break, then resigned ourselves to the fact that at least now we know what to expect.  But I was still angry.  All of my hard work for a test that I failed.  And it wasn't that I didn't know the answer.  I did.  I felt GOOD.  And it was still wrong.

My confidence was really shaken that night.  I started doubting myself, my decision to enter grad school while parenting 2 (soon to be 3) young children, even my ability to read and interpret information on multicultural counseling, a topic I am extremely excited to learn more about.  Almost a week later I'm still stressed about it.  I can't read this professor.  He contradicts himself a lot, and we have to second guess a lot of what he's said.  I like him, but as a professor he frustrates me.

I have a midterm in my other class this week.  We get to take in 3 pages (front and back) of notes.  This professor told us a little about what to expect, what to really look over, and the format (short essay form-- whew!  Thank you, Agnes Scott College!)  But for all of my calmness and confidence about the last test, I'm freaking out over this one.  I've been really shaken up by my last failure.

I wrote all of this as part of a Daily Challenge website that I use.  I get a daily email of something to do, like an exercise or becoming aware of something health-wise, and complete it.  I don't complete every challenge, but I do what I can.  I chose to do this one somewhat publicly because I think it's important to face mistakes head on.  Yes, I made a mistake with the last test.  And I'm hoping I can learn from it.

Besides, I got the two bonus questions right. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment