Friday, September 2, 2011

It makes me a better mother

Yesterday, I dropped the kids off at a Mom's Day Out program.

5 hours, all to myself!

I met with my academic advisor, ran around trying to find a nap mat for Ty (before his nap time of noon), and drove back to the church to deliver it.  I met Steve for lunch, picked up some diapers for the kids, and finally hit up the massive Borders liquidation sale.

(Great selection of fiction, but not of anything else.  The kid's section is cleaned OUT.)

By the time I picked up the kids, I was exhausted.  But I was so excited to see them.  We played and hung out on the couch.  Lily took a late afternoon power nap (she didn't nap much during the day, apparently).  I was so patient with them.  Ty's whining and new-found defiance didn't bother me as much.  I was calm and collected, and could laugh at their ridiculousness, rather than get frustrated.  When Ty didn't want to eat dinner, I said "OK," and left it out for him in case he changed his mind.  I didn't yell or get angry.  I told him that he could eat dinner when he was ready, or wait for his bed time snack, his choice.

It's amazing what a little break can do.  Some parents are cut out for spending all day, every day with their kids, and not getting frustrated.  They do crafts and have fabulous adventures.  I'm not that type of mom.  I love spending time with my kids, don't get me wrong.  We color, read, run errands, play with friends, go to the park.  I also love spending time with ME.  When I get a little break from them, it makes me a better mother. 

(It will also make me a better student-- that time is usually going to be spent working on class assignments and studying for tests!  I have a midterm next Wednesday, and my 5 hours of alone time Tuesday will be spent compiling my 3 pages of open book notes for that.)

All in all, it was a great day for all of us.

Well, maybe not all of us.  While Ty skipped off without a backward glance when I dropped him off, Lily wailed and reached out for me.  Sorry, baby girl!

FINALLY got a shot of her being still.

Of course wearing a "Cars" shirt.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I think me time is an excellent idea, and I am looking at my gradschool schedule trying to fit work in, I cannot imagine how you are doing it! Go Linds! Amanda

    ReplyDelete