Saturday, October 29, 2011

Don't judge me

It's time I confessed something.

Something I've tried to keep secret for far too long.

Something only a couple of my closest friends may know.





I like the "Twilight" series.

I've tried to deny it, even to myself!  I've made excuses for why I read all the books, and have watched all the movies (in my defense, only one was in the theater).  (And honestly, if I wasn't so embarassingly excited about "Breaking Dawn," I would skip watching that one in the theater, too.  I don't like listening to screaming fan girls...and fan women.)

For god's sake, I'm almost 30 years old.  I'm a feminist.  I'm cynical.  I HATE Valentine's Day, and my husband and I never celebrate it.  Why is it that I like to read about sparkly vampires and the weepy chick who loves them?

Don't get me wrong.  I think the writing is atrocious.  Bella is a horrible role model for young girls.  I think Kristen Stewart is mediocre at best, and I'm not attracted to Robert Pattinson (well, unless he's using his real British accent.  But that's not saying much, as I'm attracted to anyone with a British accent.)

But damn it, it's entertaining.  And I've already made plans with a friend to see "Breaking Dawn" over Thanksgiving weekend.  Though I may be wearing sunglasses and a fedora when I sneak into the theater, lest anyone spot me.

And even though I'm finally admitting this shameful secret, I will continue to make fun of the series and post things on Pinterest like this:



All pictures courtesy of Pinterest.


Now, I think "Twilight" is on FX.  I'm going to go curl up in bed with some insecure humans, sparkly undead creatures and peanut M&M's.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't the faintest why all my educated strong female friends like this series. I figure it's, like, organizing your book shelf--low level thought process yet entertaining. Also, it's FAST trash fiction, so we don't waste too much time watching/reading Twilight rather than, say, Nora Roberts. :)

    I'm watching Breaking Dawn that Friday night. You are not alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with you ladies! I blame Cat for this as SHE sent me the first book. :-)

    ReplyDelete