Saturday, October 22, 2011

Halloween Costumes (On the Cheap)

I love Halloween.  Looove it!  I love the scary movies on TV (though I don't watch them), the candy, the days getting shorter, the chill that sometimes exists in the air here in south Texas.  And I love Halloween parties and taking the kids trick or treating.

Unfortunately, this year I have class on the night of Halloween, so no trick or treating (not that my kids will miss it; they're really too young to get the concept anyway).  So the only "Halloweeny" thing we did was going to a party with the playgroup we're in.  And since that was the only event, I didn't want to spend money on costumes.

So here's how to make fun costumes from the clothes you already have!


Punky Brewster

Pigtails, rolled jeans, a bandana and mismatched shoes-- DONE.  But I'm kicking myself for not having an awesome jean vest for her, or two different Converse shoes.



Clark Kent

Superman shirt peeking out of a button down shirt.  Add some glasses (these were sunglasses with the lenses popped out).  DONE.


Hipster

Sadly, I own all the pieces that make up a "hipster" costume.  Converse, check.  Skinny jeans (yes, even maternity ones), check.  Cardigan, of course.  Hipster glasses, is there any other kind?  Fedora, yes, for the bad hair days.  Ironic mustache?  Drawn on by the hubs, faded after hand washing.

Even though that was our one and only Halloween party this year, we had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment