Wednesday, April 27, 2011

This city is too damn small.

I am a non-confrontational person.  I avoid uncomfortable situations.  I refrain from debate.  I would rather walk away than fight (I'm a lover, not a fighter, baby). 

So why is it that I continue to run into the one person I don't want to run into?

Very brief backstory: A couple of months ago a woman I had recently met made some disparaging remarks about me.  My feelings were hurt, and ties were cut with this person. 

I have since seen this woman twice.  The first time wasn't even in San Antonio- I ran into her at the children's museum in another town.  It took me a second to recognize her, and before I could usher Ty away and avoid any awkwardness he had already run over into the play area where her and her daughter were.  We did not speak directly to one another, but rather through our kids ("Ty, can you hand [insert daughter's name, which I don't remember] the fish?" and so on).  Luckily, we were meeting some friends there for lunch, and by the time we went back into the museum, she had left.

There is a local park that this woman goes to, as it is in her neighborhood.  I haven't been there in a while (subconsciously avoiding it) but ventured over there today, as the library park I usually frequent did not have parking available.  "Surely she won't be there," I wrongly thought.  After all, I've been there quite a few times, and have only seen her there once.

Yep, in the midst of about 50 field-tripping elementary school kids, I saw her.  Damn it.

I pretended like I didn't see her (juvenile move, I know) and proceeded to feed Lily while Ty played.  She ended up leaving about 5 minutes after we got there.

Man, I know people always compare San Antonio to living in a small town, but I totally get it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment