Thursday, April 28, 2011

Why I care about the royal wedding

I've seen a couple of articles recently proclaiming that the authors don't care about the royal wedding.  Their opinions range from the "monarchy is out-dated" to "it's un-American" (yeah, seriously, someone wrote that). 

Who cares?

It's fun.  It's something to watch.  It's something to get involved in.  I'm personally excited about it.  Why?

History.

Not the history of the monarchy itself, but my history.  My mom got up at 3 am the morning of Charles and Diana's wedding to watch it.  She and Diana were the same age.  William and I were born just a couple of weeks apart.  She and I always followed the news of the royal family (well, whatever news was reported in People magazine).  When Diana died, we woke up at 3 am to watch her funeral.  So yeah, I'm going to watch the wedding.  Not at 4 am (CST), because I value my sleep too much, but later, with my friends at a play date.  I've also watched some of the shows that have been on, such as Kate's bio, the story of their relationship, and the Lifetime movie "William and Kate" (awesome, highly recommended- the actor playing William is adorable!)  Because it's fun.  And it's something I can tell my daughter about years from now-- maybe when she's watching the wedding of William and Kate's child.

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking to Audrey about the wedding, and I was exactly her age when I watched Princess Diana and Prince Charles get married! I have watched the shows too, it is fun and a part of times!

    ReplyDelete