Friday, June 10, 2011

Apologies

I feel the need to apologize for my bitchy post yesterday.  It was just one big day of fail (well, with a 3 hour block of awesome at Landa Park with some moms from my playgroup).

Ty was super defiant, which is par for the course of being a 2 year old, but actually pretty rare for him.  I mistakenly allowed him to walk around at Target (had to buy smaller underwear-- for me!  Yay, Couch to 5K!)  After giving him no less than 2 warnings to behave, listen to mommy, no, you can't have a Cars toy, no, you can't go look at videos, I finally had to resort to putting him in the cart when he kicked his shoes off in the checkout lane (3 strikes and you're out, kiddo).  Crying ensued, along with avoided glances from the other customers.  He calmed down after a couple of minutes and was allowed to walk with me to the car.  I'm lucky, he listens really well when walking across the street or through parking lots (well, usually.  He did lay down in the middle of a parking lot once.)

We went to the afore-mentioned Landa Park, in New Braunfels.  Ty played on the playground while Lily gnawed on wood chips and dirt, and I chatted with some of my friends.  We all went and fed the ducks, while I gazed longingly at the wading pool (which we will be frequenting this summer-- free, baby!)




It was a lovely time, until the breeze stopped, the humidity and temperature rose, and the hot, heavy baby hanging out on me in the Ergo started making me sweat puddles.  I gathered Ty up and started loading them in the car.  As it was after 1, I figured they would knock out on the way home and sleep for a good 2 hours, so I changed them into their double-stuffed diapers.  WRONG.  Lily babbled most of the way home, Ty whined and asked where the train tracks were, and they slept for maybe 15-20 minutes while I grabbed lunch from Whataburger (mmmm).  Luckily I was able to get Lily back down for another hour once we got home, but Ty was up and rarin' to go.  I put on "Cars" for him, which helped.  Thank you, Pixar.

I tried to get cracking on my grad school application, emailing former professors and what not for letters of recommendations, but the whining toddler and crying infant thwarted that plan.  When Steve got home I packed up my laptop and went to the library to do some work.  Unfortunately, I needed a table near an outlet, since my laptop is old and run-down, and can't hold a charge.  None were available.  Cursing under my breath, I got back in the car and drove to Goodwill, hoping to find some good deals.  I didn't.

That little bit of time away helped, and I was happier once I got home.  My dinner last night helped.

Birthday cake, strawberry ice cream and red wine.  Yes, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment