Saturday, June 25, 2011

Things that make any crappy day better

A good work out (started week 5 of the Couch to 5k!)
Beer.
With a bath.
And a new face scrub.
And some lavender epsom salt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In an ideal world, my kids wouldn't watch tv until after age 2 (as recommended by the AAP).  We would spend our mornings outside in the backyard, tending to our gardens, followed by a healthy lunch and a good long nap.  I would spend nap time cleaning the house, folding laundry, and starting dinner, perhaps with some blogging thrown in for good measure.  After awakening, my angel children would play together, and I would join while the sauce for whatever simmered on the stove.

Ty watching TV well before the recommended age.  (10 months)

In reality, Lily woke up at 4 am throwing up.  Then I couldn't get back to sleep until almost 6-- and Ty woke me up at 6:30.  Lily woke up fussy, had a NASTY diaper later, fussed fussed cried until her morning nap (damn teeth).Ty watched a lot of Thomas and Cars.  Lily did eat some lunch and a little bit of a bottle, and let me nap for almost an hour.  But that was followed by more fuss fuss crying, until she finally gave in and drank almost a full bottle (that she refused for almost an hour).  Around 7 I finally left the kids with Steve and went to the gym, where I started week 5 of Couch to 5k (run 5 minutes, walk 3, run 5, walk 3, run 5-- booyeah!)  Those endorphins really helped (plus the afore mentioned list), and I was in a much better mood the rest of the night.

Parenting is hard in general (especially spending all. day.  long. with the kids...every single day and night without a break).  Throw in a mild stomach bug and/or teething, and it is TORTURE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 On a political note-- YAY!  Gay marriage rights finally passed in New York state!  But it's so sad that it has taken this long, and there are still only a few states that allow it.  As a friend stated on facebook, "Now the rest of the country that's not legalized, need to get their heads out of their asses! Ridiculous!"

But one of the best quotes comes from Republican (!) New York State Senator Roy McDonald, when he announced his decision to support the bill: "Well, fuck it. I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing."

It's about time.

No comments:

Post a Comment