Thursday, June 2, 2011

TMI FYI

Today whilst browsing through my Facebook news feed I came across a link to a post by American-in-Britain blogger Stay at Home Babe.  She writes about pap smears (sorry guys) and how Americans are probably getting them too often.  She also wrote about her experience with testing positive for HPV (human pappiloma virus).  I loved reading this post, because about 2 years ago I also tested positive for HPV.

For the unawares, HPV is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the US.  At least 50% of the population will transmit this disease at some point (or already have).  It is transmitted through sexual contact ONLY, not through spit or touching or through the air.  Most people who contract it don't even know that they have it, because there are usually no telling signs or symptoms.  If you have it, it doesn't mean you're the town whore.  HPV can hang out "down there" for years and years and years before a pap smear even detects it.  There are lots of types of HPV, including some that can cause genital warts and some that can lead to cervical cancer.  I had the latter.

Thanks to my annual pap smear (again, sorry guys) back in 2009, some abnormal cells were discovered.  Two colposcopies and biopsies later (ooh, so much fun!) the HPV was discovered.  They scraped the cells off (ooh, fun again!) and got all the abnormalities. 

I'm writing this to make people aware of this disease.  It's so common, you probably know one (or 2, or 3, or more) people that have it, or it could be you.  It's not just in women, though if not detected and treated it can lead to cervical cancer.  Luckily, there are two vaccines available.  Both girls and boys can start getting these vaccines (3 doses) as early as age 9, and it's important for them to receive all three doses before becoming sexually active.

I'm not here to tell you what to do with your own kids.  I'm just telling my own experience, to try to raise some sort of small awareness about a now-preventable disease.

(All information about HPV on this blog is from the CDC website.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you. Back in late 2006 I had an abnormal pap. IOnce the colposcopy was done I was one stage away from cervical cancer. I had only gone a year and a half without a pap. needless to say it was a stressful time. I'm glad that you're ok. One thing about the vaccines, is to remember that they aren't for ALL forms of HPV, just most. :-)

    ReplyDelete