Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My love for the fluffy butt

We started using cloth diapers on Ty when he was about 6 months old.  Disposable diapers were EXPENSIVE, even buying the bulk boxes from Costco.  Steve and I decided to give it a go, and I ordered a diaper trial (there are many available-- just Google).  These are great for deciding which types of diapers work best for you.  For $110, we got to try prefolds, pockets, fitteds, and all-in-ones (for more info on what these terms mean, visit my Examiner article.)  The diapers that you don't like you just send back for a refund.  Once I knew what I liked, I slowly built my stash with a mix of new and used (mostly bought on Craigslist) diapers.



We've been cloth diapering Ty for almost 2 years, and Lily since about 2 weeks after she was born.  Unfortunately, we have some very heavy wetters, and have yet to find a cloth system for overnight, so both kids are in disposables then.  Ty sleeps through the night, and Lily only wakes up once for a bottle.  She just started soaking through her double stuffed pocket diapers, so I grabbed a cheap (smelly!) pack of disposables until we can maybe find an overnight system for her. 

While the start up cost can be a little scary, especially if you buy new, it's all worth it in the end.  You can Google the actual figures, but basically, you will save hundreds or thousands of dollars by using cloth.  You will also help keep diapers out of rapidly growing landfills.  Plus, let's face it-- cloth diaper butts are damned cute!










I am writing this post to illustrate not only how fun cloth diapering can be, but to also give a shout out to the KellyWels.com sweepstakes.  She is offering one winner a set of 18 BumGenius 4.0 One Size diapers, a diaper sprayer (essential, if you ask me), and a diaper pail liner.  This package is worth $340, and depending on the age of your child, those 18 diapers could be enough for you to cloth diaper full time, while washing every couple of days.  While yes, I would love to win this contest (I LOVE BumGenius diapers!) I also want to make it available to others.  Visit the KellyWels.com website for more information, as well as the official entry form.

If anyone wants more information on cloth diapering, just let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment